new opportunities await
Select a careers category to view available listings.
ProspectBlue is partnered with a leading retailer of products for home, hearth, yard, and garden!
The Assistant Controller provides leadership and develops a team of financial department associates to achieve individual, departmental and company goals. Primarily the Assistant Controller is tasked with leading the accounting team in providing the business with timely, accurate reporting that is actionable and will assist the business in making key decisions about how to spend its capital. The Assistant Controller contributes to the department and organization by seeking and driving improvements of processes, systems and communication while also ensuring that financial transactions are accurately recorded and reported to internal and external users. To be successful in this role, the Assistant Controller will be a proactive hands-on individual, passionate about impacting top and bottom line performance as well as strengthening the Finance team. This position requires a strong general accounting knowledge and will be provided opportunities to learn and be responsible for a variety of accounting functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to the following:
- Preparing, reviewing and approving journal entries in conjunction with month-end close in order to produce timely and accurate financial statements that are presented and reviewed with management on a monthly basis.
- Maintaining the chart of accounts and related reporting, assuring transactions are accurately recorded and reported.
- Performing account analysis, including the ability to find and resolve issues within the data, to ensure transactions are accurately recorded and reported.
- Budgeting and forecasting, including analysis, development, input and maintenance of data while working with all accounting functions.
- Problem solving by consistently evaluating processes and systems and implementing process improvement measures when needed to generate higher productivity and revenue.
- Serving as an expert resource for processes and task associated with the Accounting function.
- Preparing and reviewing various reports and analysis prepared by Accounting staff including:
- Various budget vs actual analysis
- Sales tax and property tax returns
- Collateral reports for bankers
- Supporting inventory accounting through performance of monthly analysis of cost changes and other factors that contribute to unexplained variances including inventory turns and ratios.
- Working with external auditors and providers in the coordination, oversight, preparation, and documentation for the execution and completion of annual audits and tax planning.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Staff Management Responsibilities
- Managing and providing leadership for all accounting functions, including accounts payable, cash, accounts receivable, fixed assets, and tax.
- Effectively communicating with Finance team members, external sources and with all levels of organizational management including executive level and ownership.
- Conducting team meetings weekly with the Finance team to ensure the team has correct and updated information to perform jobs to the best of ability.
- Providing consistent positive feedback and awareness of development opportunities to the Finance team through effective coaching and training. Administering progressive discipline actions in a confidential and consistent manner as appropriate.
- Ensuring the training and development of the Finance team with a goal of maximizing staff flexibility and building a bench for succession planning.
- Responding to inquiries and concerns from all levels of employees by addressing concerns and suggesting resolutions and notifying HR when appropriate.
- Ensuring performance reviews are completed accurately and administered in a timely manner.
The requirements listed below represent the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required, to perform job function:
- A. or B.S Degree in Accounting or Finance
- 7+ years of progressive experience in accounting or finance department (multi-channel retail experience preferred).
- Supervisory experience required.
Professional Traits/Core Competencies
- Strong understanding of balance sheet, income statement and statements of cash flow and effect of journal entries on these statements.
- Must be able to acquire understanding and absorb new information rapidly.
- Must be flexible with the ability to take on different roles and responsibilities as the program/project/work evolves.
- Must be able to work well with others, including building and maintaining good working relationships, both internal and external, and at various levels in organization, while working towards a common goal.
- Must be comfortable engaging and communicating with all levels of employees, including senior leadership, especially cross-organizations.
- Ability to plan and organize work for self and associates in an efficient, productive manner, including the ability to effectively multitask and pay appropriate attention to detail.
- Exhibit a strong desire to achieve high dedication levels with an innate ability to inspire passion in others.
- Ability to manage multiple and shifting priorities, including flexibility and easy adaptability to change.
- Ability to seek out and seize opportunities for improvement by generating sensible, realistic and practical solutions to problems.
- Ability to exhibit sound judgement, decision making, problem solving, organizational and analytical skills.
- Take personal accountability for own actions, keeping commitments and asking/offering help as needed.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word and Access.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Previous experience with accounting software such as Sage, a plus.
- The ability to work independently
1650 Willow Lawn Drive
Richmond, VA 23230